Friday 14 December 2007

Destination Sumatra


On a bursary from the Society of Wildlife Artists I will be heading to Southeast Asia after Christmas to visit the orangutans in Sumatra. My parents began their zoological careers in the forests of Sumatra, setting up conservation programmes for orangutans back in the 1970's. Three decades on, I plan to travel back to this same area of Indonesia and hopefully connect with some of the same people that worked with my parents 30 years ago.

Seeing orangutans in the wild is one of my lifelong ambitions and I'm very excited about the prospect of fulfilling this dream in the New Year. In time I hope to publish a collaborative book with my mother that connects the past and future of these red apes. Watch this space...
.

No comments:

 
Follow @AvelingArtworks Nature Blog Network